Sunday, May 27, 2012

Granola and Rice Crisp Clusters


A couple of weeks ago I bought a container of of very tasty granola (Aurora's Vanilla Crunch Granola). But at nearly $6 for 14 oz, I figured it was worth a reverse engineer.

My favorite thing about this granola are the big chunky clusters which my daughter ate by the handful. The ingredient list gave me a couple of clues - in addition to oats, there's also crispy rice cereal which added to the crunch. There's also dried milk powder in it which I suspect helps it bind.

After a bit of digging, I found a few different recipes that suggested adding binders such as whipped egg whites, oat flour, and AP flour to help the granola hold together. I finally landed on this recipe on Food.com and adjusted to add some of the ingredients from the Aurora Granola.

Ingredients (makes about 3 cups)
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup crispy rice cereal
1/3 cup flour
2 tablespoon dried milk powder
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 cup honey or maple syrup
1/4 cup dried fruit (e.g., cranberries, raisins, blueberries)
1/4 cup chopped or slivered nuts (e.g., almonds, pumpkin seeds)

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Combine oats, rice cereal, flour, dried milk powder. Melt butter and mix in brown sugar, salt, vanilla, and honey to combine. Pour over dry mixture, add fruit, nuts and toss gently to combine.

This makes a fairly small batch, so feel free to double. In this case, I used my toaster oven's cookie sheet which was the perfect size. Cover cookie sheet with parchment and pat the granola mixture over the sheet to 1/2 inch depth.

Place in pre-heated oven and bake for 15 minutes. Stir and rearrange mix to its original 1/2 inch deep shape and bake for another 10 minutes.

Let mixture cool completely and gently break into bite size clusters. Store in air tight container.

No comments:

Post a Comment