Sunday, January 22, 2012

Bread and Brisket

I finally broke down and bought a standing mixer. I've never had any luck with bread and everything I've been reading is telling me that my lazy kneading technique is to blame. So I caved (with a 20% Bed Bath & Beyond coupon as the enabler) -- but I'm pretty sure I'll never make enough bread to justify the cost of the KitchenAid, but I can dream.

So ta da - here is the bread! I went simple, Googled "foolproof bread recipe" and came across this recipe for Amish White Bread. It was definitely easier with the mixer and while not perfect, it definitely beats my previous attempts at bread baking.


With the other half of the brisket left over from last weekend's BBQ brisket recipe, I defrosted and searched for a recipe for braised brisket (aka pot roast). This recipe from Cooks Illustrated that I found on a discussion board sounded perfect. After it was cooked through (to 190 degrees), I let it rest for an hour, sliced it, and then put it back in the defatted gravy to heat through in the oven until dinner time.  Perfectly moist, very tender and tremendously yummy.



Finally, it was time to break in the mixer for dessert. I love chocolate mousse and since it had plenty of whipping involved, it gave me another reason to justify the purchase. I looked through a number of recipes and landed on this one from Tyler Florence since I got to whip the cream and egg whites (a few recipes omit egg whites -- don't know about you, but I always hate those recipes that use either the yolk or the white. Do I throw the other part away? Do I put it in a container, forget about it, and throw it away later?

And of course someone else out there has thought this through. Here is a link to ideas for leftover egg yolks (conveniently categorized by number of yolks). The ideas for leftover egg whites tend to revolve around baked goods like meringue, macaroons, angel food cake. Here are a few ideas here.



Recipes:

No comments:

Post a Comment