Sunday, January 8, 2012

Southern BBQ and Texas Grilling Meets Brooklyn Deli

We had a friend over and her request was for steak and potatoes, but she wanted to keep it healthy (with the new year and all). Tough one, but I had an idea -- soup! Starting dinner with soup helps fill the tummy without adding a lot of calories. I had a chicken stock going today so I decided to do a simple matzo ball soup.

I've tried making matzo ball soup from scratch I don't know how many times, but now I know better. Go with the box mix. They rock! I used Streits tonight but Manichewitz or any other will do. Make sure you get the matzo ball mix package and not the matzo ball soup mix (they look very similar). I llike to cook my matzo balls separately in lightly salted water (warning: the mixes are heavily salted, so go easy on the additional salt). Another tip is to replace the oil in the recipe with rendered chicken fat -- heavenly. In the finished stock I simmer diced carrots and fine egg noodles for about 10 minutes then add a pinch of dill and the cooked matzo balls to heat through. This is how my favorite deli serves it and the combination is perfection.



BBQ chicken was one of the main meats. I use an America's Test Kitchen recipe for the dry rub. Then I cook over an indirect heat for about 45 minutes then finish off on direct heat for a minute or two on each side to crisp up the skin. It doesn't even need sauce and very good the day after, even cold.



 As a side, simple offset cut zuchinni sauteed in butter and minced garlic and finished with a splash of soy sauce mixed with a small amount of sugar and sesame oil.


 Finally, there was more meat. NY strip tonight, sprinkled with a simple spice mix of salt, pepper, chili powder, onion powder and coriander. It's the copycat Monterey Steak Seasoning recipe from food.com. Let it rest for 5 minutes, then slice and serve - by this time, no one will be able to down a whole steak.

No comments:

Post a Comment